Saturday, October 12, 2013

Goddess Kali and the Mother of Sri Aurobindo Ashram


(The day before Kali Puja (the ritual festival devoted

each year in India 
to the goddess Kali), the warrior aspect

of the universal
Mother)                                    

She has already been here for two days and ... Oh, yesterday especially,
 she was so ... in such a mood! - like a warrior. I said to her, 'But why not change them through ... through an excess of love?'

So then she answered (I remember how she put it), 'First a good punch in the chest (she didn't say 'in the nose'!), a good punch in the chest, and then when they're down, gasping for air, they're ready.'

That's one opinion!

(Mother's Agenda , Volume 1 , Page 438, 19th Oct. 1960)

                                               *                                                   

   There are people here who do the same thing. I know some people who had a statue of Kali in their house (it was their family divinity), and all kinds of calamities befell them, so the last generation became furious and took the idol and threw it into the Ganges. They are not the only ones - there have been several cases like that. And to cap it all, one of them even asked my permission before doing it!
(Mother's Agenda , Volume  2, Page 192 , 29th April 1961)


                                                                                                                         

                                                * 

            
Another time, a fellow (there are some demented characters of that kind) had come from Australia: he was a teacher and had been given classes in the School. He started to preach unbelievable things - he was God incarnate, you see! Until the day it began to be a pain in the neck. And he had declared he would stay here forever.... People were annoyed, everyone was annoyed, they didn't know what to do. I was in my room here (it was three years ago, maybe four). I remember: I was sitting on my bed (at the time I used to work on my bed, over there), and I received a letter in which I was told ... in short, that it had become impossible, intolerable, that he could not be kept here. So I concentrated for a minute and Kali arrived - Kali in her battling mood, a black, dancing Kali. I told her, "Why don't you go on his head?" (Laughing) She went and did her dance on his head - the next day, he wrote he was leaving the Ashram. In this case, it was very clear: the day before, he had declared that he wouldn't budge, that he intended to stay here and continue his lessons, and that we would have to send him away forcibly for him to go (they had told me all this quite tearfully). Kali's dance convinced him he had better go!

(  Mother's Agenda , Volume 4,  Page 363, 19th Oct. 1963)

                                                                                       

                                                 * 


Another thing happened to me in a fishing village near A., on the seashore, where there is a temple dedicated to Kali - a terrible Kali. I don't know what happened to her, but she had been buried with only her head sticking out! A fantastic story - I knew nothing about it at all. I was going by car from A. to this temple and halfway there a black form, in great agitation, came rushing towards me, asking for my help: 'I'll give you everything I have - all my power, all the people's worship - if you help me to become omnipotent'! Of course, I answered her as she deserved! I later asked who this was, and they told me that some sort of misfortune had befallen her and she had been buried with only her head above ground. And every year this fishing village has a festival and slaughters thousands of chickens - she likes chicken! Thousands of chickens. They pluck them on the spot (the whole place gets covered with feathers), and then, after offering the blood and making the sacrifice, the people, naturally, eat them all up. The day I came this had taken place that very morning - feathers littered everywhere! It was disgusting. And she was asking for my help!

But the curious thing is that these vital beings are aware of what is happening. I knew nothing about any of it, neither the story, nor the being, nor the head sticking out of the ground - and she wanted me to get her out of it. They 'feel' the atmosphere. They are aware - they may not be conscious on higher planes, but they are conscious on vital planes, aware of vital power and the vital force it represents.... It's like this asura from M.: when I came in he suddenly seemed to tremble on his pedestal; then he left his idol and came to seek my alliance.

(Mother's Agenda,Volume 2, page 196,

 
29th April 1961)
 

                                           

                                                  * 

Behind all the destructions - the big destructions of Nature - earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, cyclones, floods, etc., or the human destructions - wars, revolutions, riots - there is always Kali's power and upon earth Kali works for the hastening of the terrestrial progress.

Whatever is Divine not only in its essence but also in its realisation is above these destructions and cannot be touched by them.

In all cases the extent of the damage gives the measure of the imperfection and must be taken as a lesson for indispensable progress.

(Mother's Agenda , Volume 6 , Page 46 , 10th March 1965)


                                                 * 


Did I tell you the vision I had here?... I've had many, but there is one ... It was after the War was declared: between the time when the War (the first War) was declared and my departure. There was a rather long period: the War was declared in August [1914] and I left next February. Well, between the two, one day while in meditation, I saw Kali enter through the door - Kali of the vital, naked, with a garland of heads - she danced into the room. And she told me (she stayed like that, a little distance away), she told me ... I don't remember the exact words, but: "Paris is captured" or "Paris is about to be captured" or "Paris is destroyed" - something of the sort, anyway the Germans were advancing on Paris. And then, I saw the Mother - the Mother, that is to say ... how does he call her? Maha ...

Mahashakti.

Huge!... You see, Kali had a human size, but she was huge, up to the ceiling. She came in behind Kali and stood there, and she said, "NO" - simply, just like that(in a quiet categorical tone). So I (laughing) ... In those days, there was no radio, we would get the news by wire; so we got the news that the Germans were advancing on Paris, and at the same moment (that is, the day I had my vision), at the corresponding moment, without reason they were struck with panic, they turned back and went away.... It was just the same moment.... They were advancing on Paris; so Kali came in, saying, "Paris is captured." And then She came(Mother brings her hand down sovereignly): NO.... Like that. It really was remarkable, because I was simply sitting there, looking. And it happened in front of me.

I told Sri Aurobindo about it, he didn't say anything. It was he who would get the news. And later on, in the afternoon, he told me, "Here's the news...." It seems they were suddenly seized with panic; they thought, "It can't be" - there was no one to oppose them, the way was open, all clear, they didn't encounter anyone or anything, so they said to themselves, "It's a trap." And ... (laughing) they ran away. They turned around and left.... That was really interesting.

(Mother's Agenda , volume 11 , Page 134, 1st Apr 1970) 

                                                   * 


Yesterday was Kali puja,[[ Kali represents the warrior aspect of the universal Mother. Ceremonies in honor of her take place every year around this time. ]] and in English I would say, She has been outspoken. In the afternoon, she expressed ... (laughing) her "view of things."
( Mother's Agenda , Volume 7 , Page 263  ,12th Nov. 1966)

                                                                                                                

                                                   * 

It is like the story X told me of his guru who could command the coming of Kali (something which seems quite natural to me when one is sufficiently developed); well, not only could he commend the coming of Kali, but Kali with I don't know how many crores of her warriors! ... For me, Kali was Kali, after all, and she did her work; but in the universal organization, her action, the innumerable multiplicity of her action, is expressed by an innumerable multitude of conscious entities at work. It is this individualization, as it were, that gives to these forces a consciousness and a certain play of freedom, and this is what makes all the difference in action. It is in this respect that the occult system is an absolutely indispensable complement to spiritual action.
(Mother's Agenda, Volume 1, Page 249, 27th  Nov. - 1958)

                                                     * 

(Note from Mother to Satprem)

I did not utter the words that you heard - I wanted to speak to you of my experience during the night, but I was paralyzed because I clearly felt that you no longer understood me. As soon as I received your letter, I concentrated on you in an effort to help you, and when night fell, just at the hour I enter into contact with X, I called for his help - whereupon he sent me this little Kali whom he had already sent once before. So I went to your house, I took you in my arms and pressed you tightly to my heart to keep you as sheltered as possible from blows, and I let Kali do her warrior dance against this titan who is always trying to possess you, creating this rebelliousness in you. She must have at least partially succeeded in her work, because very early in the morning the titan went away somewhat discomfited, but while leaving, he flung this at me as he went by: 'You will regret it, for you would have had less trouble if he had left.' I flung his suggestion back in his face with a laugh and told him, 'Take that, along with all the rest of your ugly person! I have no need of it!' And the atmosphere cleared up.

I wanted to tell you all this, but I couldn't because you were still far away from me and it would have seemed like boasting. Also the misunderstanding created by the distance made you hear other words than those I uttered.

 

(Mother's Agenda, Volume 1, Page 308, 28th May 1959)

- The Mother

 *                                *                                  *       


Crowd in Hooghly, in front of the temple of Kalighat (Circa 1880)   
            


 Goddess Kali - 
Richard Bernard GODFREY

(1770)

 *                               *                                * 







 *                               *                               * 


Durga Pooja / Vijaya Dasami Slokas

I am providing additional information on Durga Pooja / Vijaya Dasami
Devi SaraswatiVijatya Dasami

या कुन्देन्दुतुषारहारधवला या शुभ्रवस्त्रावृता
या वीणावरदण्डमण्डितकरा या श्वेतपद्मासना ।
या ब्रह्माच्युतशंकरप्रभृतिभिर्देवः सदा पूजिता
सा मां पातु सरस्वति भगवती निःशेषजाड्यापहा ॥१॥
Yaa Kunde[a-I]ndu-Tussaara-Haara-Dhavalaa Yaa Shubhra-Vastra-[A]avrtaa
Yaa Viinnaa-Vara-Danndda-Mannddita-Karaa Yaa Shvetapadmaasanaa |
Yaa Brahmaacyutashamkaraprabhrtibhirdevah Sadaa Puujitaa
Saa Maam Paatu Sarasvati Bhagavatii Nihshessajaaddyaapahaa ||1||


Meaning:
1.1: (Salutations to Devi Saraswati) Who is Pure White like Jasmine, with the Coolness of Moon, Brightness of Snow and Shine like the Garland of Pearls; and Who is Covered with Pure White Garments,
1.2: Whose Hands are Adorned with Veena (a stringed musical instrument) and the Boon-Giving Staff; And Who is Seated on Pure White Lotus,
1.3: Who is Always Adored by Lord Brahma, Lord Acyuta (Lord Vishnu), Lord Shankara and Other Devas,
1.4: O Goddess Saraswati, Please Protect me and Remove my Ignorance completely…

                                     Durga Ashtothram

















                                                                                        

2 comments:

pianomonika said...

''Kali'' is the Goddess of Time and Change. Although sometimes presented as dark and violent,her earliest incaranation as a figure of annihilator of evil forces still has some influence.
The Mother describes here in impressive fashion her experience with KALI, and it is this respect that the occult system is an absolutely indispensable complement to spiritual action.

pianomonika said...

Thanks to Dr.Jitendra Sharma, to show here the additional information on Durga Pooja.